Colt Automatic Target Pistol .22 LR Serial Number
863 - A very early Model S "Pre-Woodsman" in very nice
condition. Pistol has all the early features:
- early slide markings with Colt horse located to
the right of the left side slide serrations
- checkered pattern mainspring housing
- pencil barrel with the latest patent date of 1903
- checkered walnut grips with uncheckered diamond
around the grip screw
- smooth trigger centered in trigger guard
- early style magazine with brass follower
Thanks to collectors Bob Rayburn and Richard
Salerno for their help with identifying the features of this early
pistol. For complete information on the Pre-Woodsman and Woodsman
pistols, please visit Bob Rayburn's
Left side close-up showing early style slide legend,
location of Colt horse and diamond pattern checkered walnut grips.
Checkered pattern mainspring housing indicating that
gun is designed to fire standard velocity ammunition.
Pencil barrel with the latest patent date of December
Slide face. 863 is the earliest known serial number lacking
recess for chamber device
(slide appendage.) Previous low number was between serial number
1200 - 1300.
Breech face showing no chamber device (slide
appendage.) Also shown is brass magazine follower.
Serial number 863 stamped inside the slide.
Serial number 863 stamped on front grip